Essential Oils For Headaches
of reading - words
Headaches are among the most common health problems. They usually disappear on their own or after taking a medication. Unfortunately, some headaches that we call migraines can affect the daily lives of people who suffer from them.
Calming a migraine naturally
It is essential to differentiate between headaches and migraines.
There are different types of headaches:
- Tension-type headache: This type of headache is the most common. Most people experience them occasionally. Pain is low to moderate, depending on the individual. Pressure is usually felt in the forehead and temples, sometimes followed by neck pain. No nausea or vomiting.
- Migraine: With a very variable frequency ranging from a few times a year to several times a week, migraine is the most severe headache. The pain is of medium to high intensity and can last for a few hours or a few days. If you suffer from it, you will feel like you have a heartbeat in your head, and you may suffer from nausea, vomiting, and hypersensitivity to sound and light.
Essential oils, our solution against a stubborn migraine
When suffering from a severe migraine, the first reflex is to use standard medicine. But other solutions can help soothe pain from headache and migraine, such as the use of specific essential oils by mouth or skin.
Peppermint essential oil
Its fresh scent and natural anti-inflammatory properties will help to relieve your migraine pain quickly effectively. Start your aromatherapy massage by rubbing one drop your temples and forehead for a few minutes to relieve tension. Add a few drops as necessary. Peppermint essential oil should relieve some symptoms almost immediately. You’d be surprised at what a few drops of natural oils can do to help treat headaches!
Eucalyptus essential oil
Eucalyptus is traditionally used to clear sinuses and reduce inflammation. People experiencing headaches due to blocked sinuses may find that inhaling eucalyptus reduces their symptoms. One study found that eucalyptus oil was effective for relieving pain and lowering blood pressure when it was inhaled.
Rosemary essential oil
Rosemary oil is another essential oil used to treat headaches and improve circulation due to its anti-inflammatory and pain-killing properties. Its been found that rosemary oil helps to reduce pain and insomnia. To use rosemary oil, you can massage the affected area with a few drops of rosemary oil mixed with a carrier oil like coconut oil.
But what is synergy?
For aromatherapy, a synergy consists of mixing different essential and/or vegetable oils. All essential oils can have different properties, allowing a combination of various benefits. The oils can also have the same type of benefit but can be combined to improve one specific mechanism of action. Using essential oils as a synergy will, therefore, have a better chance of providing relief than an essential oil on its own.
Our recipe for your headaches
- Essential oil Peppermint (40 drops)
- Essential oil Basil exotic (10 drops)
- Essential oil of noble Chamomile (10 drops)
- St. John's wort oil (40 drops)
Pour 3 to 4 drops on the painful area. Repeat as often as necessary.
General precautions to take with essential oils
Essential oils are concentrated liquids composed of 100% active ingredients. They, therefore, require a strict framework for the use, and the following precautions should be taken:
- Before and after each use, it is necessary to wash your hands.
- Limit yourself to the indicated dosages and recommended usage frequency.
- If you are trying new oils, perform a tolerance test.
- Apply a few drops in the fold of the elbow. If no reaction has occurred within 10 minutes, there is no intolerance to the oil being tested. If a reaction should appear, massage the area with marigold oil several times a day for 3 days. You can use any general marigold oil purchased from your local pharmacy.
- Keep out of the reach of children.
- Pregnant or women breastfeeding: it is essential to consult a health professional before any use.
The proposed practices are provided for information purposes only and do not replace any diagnosis made by a health professional.
Consultation with a therapist or doctor is strongly recommended before starting any essential oil-based treatment.
French Lotus does not assume any responsibility for any misapplication from the information presented.
Arm yourself with all our tips to take care of your headache naturally. All you have to do is put your knowledge into practice to start using essential oils for headaches.
Headaches have many triggers, but more often than not, stress is one of the primary triggers for the majority of people. With that said, prevention is key! The scent of lavender and lavender essential oil can also be used throughout the day to promote a calming and stress-free environment to help prevent the onset of headaches in the future. Reducing stress in your everyday life has many other health benefits as well.
Essential oils have many purposes. They can be used as perfumes, for skin, for sleep, or as an antiseptic or antibacterial. Check out our article that traces the history of aromatherapy through the different civilizations and what they did with it.
Why bother when you can make it simple?